Eagles rank surprisingly high in NFL poll
After the way last season turned out, you likely don’t want to see the Eagles high on any preseason hype list.
But an off-season filled with much-needed defensive acquisitions and extensions for in-house stars has resulted in the Birds checking in at No. 3 on NFL.com’s
most recent power rankings.
The Eagles trail only the Packers and Patriots in the list, and are three spots ahead of the defending Super Bowl champion and division rival New York Giants.
Keeping Michael Vick upright obviously plays a large role in however far the Eagles will go, Gil Brandt writes, and that is made harder by the loss of Jason Peters, who had perhaps the best season of any tackle in football in 2011.
Other notables on the list include:
- The Sean Payton-less, potentially Drew Brees-less New Orleans Saints at No. 7.
- Peyton Manning’s Broncos at No. 14.
- The Cowboys at No. 16.
- The Jets are at No. 19, though that ranking could rise or fall if Tim Tebow takes over for Mark Sanchez.
- Robert Griffin III and the Redskins are No. 26, behind teams like the Dolphins and Cardinals.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars are 32nd, a spot behind the Colts.